Industrial and Systems Engineering
|Office:||CoRE Building, Room 224|
Zhimin Xi is an Associate Professor in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the Rutgers University – New Brunswick. He received his B.S. and M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Science and Technology Beijing in 2001 and 2004, respectively. He obtained his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering (Program of Reliability Engineering) at the University of Maryland – College Park in 2010. His research interests are design for reliability and the applications for reliable autonomous vehicles/robots, lithium-ion batteries, and additive manufacturing. He has published more than 80 papers in prestigious journals and peer-reviewed conference proceedings. His research has been supported by National Science Foundation, DARPA, Department of Energy, Ford Motor Company, Denso North American Foundation, and The Woodbridge Group. He is a member of IISE, ASME, and IEEE. He is the recipient of 2021 ASME – Design Automation Young Investigator Award, 2020 Journal of Mechanical Design - Reviewer with Distinction Award, 2019 Rutgers A. Walter Tyson Assistant Professorship Award, 2016 DARPA - Young Faculty Award. He is the winners of multiple (including twice Top 10) Best Paper Awards from ASME – Design Automation Conference in 2008, 2011, 2013, and 2015 respectively. He currently serves as an Associate Editor for IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters.
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland – College Park, 2010
- Defense TechConnect 2022 Innovation Awardees (autonomy, mobility, space, defense), 2022
- ASME – Design Automation Young Investigator Award, 2021
- ASME - Journal of Mechanical Design - Reviewer with Distinction Award, 2020
- Walter Tyson Assistant Professorship Award, Rutgers School of Engineering, 2019
- DARPA – Young Faculty Award, 2016
- Best Paper Award, International Conference on QR2MSE, 2015
- Top 10 Best Paper Award (10 out of 168 submissions), ASME – IDETC: 41st Design Automation Conference, 2015
- Best Paper Award (1 out of 142 submissions), ASME – IDETC: 39th Design Automation Conference, 2013
- Top 10 Best Paper Award (10 out of 156 submissions), ASME – IDETC: 37th Design Automation Conference, 2011
- Best Paper Award (1 out of 174 submissions), ASME – IDETC: 34th Design Automation Conference, 2008
IISE, Senior Member
Design for reliability and the applications for reliable autonomous vehicles/robots, lithium-ion batteries, and additive manufacturing
- Bae, J. and Xi, Z., Learning of physical health timestep using the LSTM network for remaining useful life prediction, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 2022, 226:108717 (13 pages).
- Ren, L., Xi, Z., Bias-learning based model predictive controller design for reliable path tracking of autonomous vehicles under model and environment uncertainty, Journal of Mechanical Design, Transactions of the ASME, 2022, 144(9): 091706 (10 pages).
- Xi, Z., and E. Torkamani, Analytic velocity obstacle for efficient collision avoidance computation and a comparison study with sampling and optimization-based approaches, Journal of Autonomous Vehicles and Systems, Transactions of the ASME, 2022, 2(1): 011001 (16 pages).
- Torkamani E., Xi, Z., Systematical Collision Avoidance Reliability Analysis and Characterization of Reliable System Operation for Autonomous Navigation Using the Dynamic Window Approach, ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems Part B: Mechanical Engineering, 2022, 8(3): 031106 (12 pages).
- Xi, Z., Wang, R., Fu Y., Mi, C., Accurate and Reliable State of Charge Estimation of Lithium ion Batteries Using Time-Delayed Recurrent Neural Networks through the Identification of Overexcited Neurons, Applied Energy, v.305, 117962 (9 pages), 2022.
- Dahmardeh, M., Xi, Z., Probabilistic State-of-Charge Estimation of Lithium-ion Batteries Considering Cell-to-Cell Variability Due to Manufacturing Tolerance, Journal of Energy Storage, v.43, 103204 (11 pages), 2021.
- Olleak, A., Xi, Z., A Study of Modeling Assumptions and Adaptive Remeshing for Thermomechanical Finite Element Modeling of the LPBF Process, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, v.115: 3599-3615, 2021.
- Xi, Z., Model Predictive Control of Melt Pool Size for the Laser Powder Bed Fusion Process Under Process Uncertainty, ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems: Part B. Mechanical Engineering, v.8(1): 011103 (11 pages), 2021.
- Olleak, A. , Xi, Z., Part-scale finite element modeling of the SLM process with layer-wise adaptive remeshing for thermal history and porosity prediction, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Transactions of the ASME, v.142(12): 121006 (12 pages), 2020.
- Olleak, A., Xi, Z., Efficient LPBF process simulation using finite element modeling with adaptive remeshing for distortions and residual stresses prediction, Manufacturing Letters, v.24: 140-144, 2020.