Industrial and Systems Engineering
|Office:||CoRE Building, Room 220|
Weihong 'Grace' Guo is an assistant professor in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering. She earned her B.S. degree in Industrial Engineering from Tsinghua University, China, in 2010 and her Ph.D. in Industrial & Operations Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 2015.
Dr. Guo’s research interests are in the areas of statistical quality control and process monitoring, data mining for manufacturing and healthcare systems modeling and improvement, and quality-oriented design and modeling of complex manufacturing systems. Her current research focuses on data fusion methods in the interface between applied statistics and system control/optimization.
She is a member of IIE, INFORMS, and ASME. Dr. Guo is the recipient of the 2014 ISERC Quality Control & Reliability Engineering Best Student Paper Award Finalist, the 2014 International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing Sciences Best Paper Award, the Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship from the University of Michigan, and the Wilson Prize for the Best Student Paper in Manufacturing. Her teaching interests include quality engineering, data analytics, and manufacturing systems.
Ph.D., Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, 2015
M.S., Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, 2012
B.S., Industrial Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 2010
- First Place Winner in 2014 INFORMS Minority Issues Forum Poster Competition, for poster titled “A Decision Support System on Surgical Treatments for Rotator Cuff Tears”, November 2014
- Best Paper Award Finalist, Quality Control and Reliability Engineering (QCRE) Student Paper Competition, 2014 Industrial & Systems Engineering Research Conference (ISERC), May 31 - June 3, Montreal, Canada
- Best Paper Award, the 11th International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing (ICFDM), for paper titled “Real-time Within-cycle Monitoring of Nonlinear Profile Signals”, May 23-25, 2014, Nanjing, China
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship (one of the most prestigious awards given to graduate students with a three term stipend and other benefits to support dissertation research), University of Michigan, 2014 (total 76 awardees, among which only 12 are from the College of Engineering)
- Wilson Prize ($1,000, departmental award given to the best student paper dealing with any aspect of manufacturing systems), Department of Industrial & Operations Engineering, University of Michigan
- 2014 NSF Travel Grant, for presenting at 2014 ISERC, Montreal, Canada
- Rackham Travel Grant, University of Michigan (2011-2014)
- Graduate Student Research Assistantship, Department of Industrial & Operations Engineering, University of Michigan (2010-2013)
- Departmental Fellowship, Department of Industrial & Operations Engineering, University of Michigan (2012-2013)
- Second Place Winner in Design and Manufacturing Track in the 7th Annual Engineering Graduate Symposium, University of Michigan (November 2012)
- Outstanding Graduate of the Year, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (2010)
- National Scholarship (8000RMB), Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (2009)
- Tung OOCL Scholarship (5000RMB), funded by Hong Kong’s Tung Foundation and Orient Overseas Container Line Ltd., Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (2008) 4 Weihong (Grace) Guo Second Prize in “Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press Cup” National English Debate Competition – Tsinghua Round, Beijing, China (2009)
- Tau Beta Pi, The Engineering Honor Society (2014)
- Selected attendee of NextProf Workshop at the University of Michigan, College of Engineering (September 24-27, 2013). NextProf Workshop was designed to encourage women in engineering and science to consider academia.
- Selected attendee of Yonsei Leadership Forum - Northeast Asian network 2009, organized by Yonsei Institute for Leadership Development, Seoul, Korea (2009)
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE)
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) – Quality, Statistics, and Reliability section – Data Mining section – Minority Issue Forum
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Student Volunteer in ASME MSEC 2014
- Statistical quality control and process monitoring
- Data fusion for manufacturing and healthcare system modeling and improvements
- Sensing, modeling, and monitoring of high definition profile data
- Quality-oriented design and modeling of complex manufacturing systems
- W. Guo, R. Chen, and J. Jin, “On-line Eccentricity Monitoring of Seamless Tubes in Cross-roll Piercing Mill”, ASME Transactions, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, available online. DOI: 10.1115/1.4028440. [Earlier version published in ASME 2014 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference collocated with the JSME 2014 International Conference on Materials and Processing and the 42nd North American Manufacturing Research Conference (pp. V001T04A010-V001T04A010), American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Detroit, MI, June 9-13, 2014.]
- W. Guo, J. Jin, and S.J. Hu, (2013) “Allocation of Maintenance Resources in Mixed Model Assembly Systems”, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 32 (3), pp. 473-479. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmsy.2012.12.006. [Earlier version published in the 4th CIRP Conference on Assembly Technologies and Systems, pp. 199–202, Ann Arbor, MI, May 20-22, 2012.]
- A. Abad, W. Guo, and J. Jin, (2014) “Algebraic Expression of System Configurations and Performance Metrics for Mixed Model Assembly Systems”, IIE Transactions, 46 (3), pp. 230-248. DOI: 10.1080/0740817X.2013.813093.
- B. Li, X. Li, W. Guo, and S. Wu, (2013) “A Generalized Stochastic Petri-Net Model for Performance Analysis and Allocation Optimization of a Particular Repair System”, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 30 (1), pp. B1-B19. [Based on undergraduate thesis] DOI: 10.1142/S021759591250042X. Under review.
- W. Guo, C. Shao, T.H. Kim, J. Jin, S.J. Hu, H. Wang, M. Wincek, and P. Spicer, “Online Process Monitoring with Near-Zero Misdetection for Ultrasonic Welding of Lithium-ion Batteries”, submitted to Journal of Manufacturing Systems (currently under 2nd round of review).
- W. Guo, K. Paynabar, J. Jin, B. Miller, and J. Carpenter “A Decision Support System on Surgical Treatments for Rotator Cuff Tears”, submitted to IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering (invitated to revise). Conference Proceeding
- C. Shao, W. Guo, T.H. Kim, J. Jin, S.J. Hu, J.P. Spicer, and J.A. Abell, “Characterization and Monitoring of Tool Wear in Ultrasonic Metal Welding”, Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Microfactories (IWMF 2014), pp. 161-169, Honolulu, HI, October 5-8, 2014. Working Papers
- W. Guo, J. Jin, and S.J. Hu, “Within-cycle Profile Monitoring for Real-time Defect Prevention”, to be submitted to IIE Transactions. [Earlier version published in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing (ICFDM), Nanjing, China, May 23-25, 2014].
- W. Guo, J. Jin, and S.J. Hu, “Within-cycle Profile Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis with Multichannel Signals”, work in progress.