Industrial and Systems Engineering
|Office:||CORE Building, Room 208|
Tuğrul Özel is a Professor I in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at Rutgers University and the Director of Manufacturing and Automation Research Laboratory. Prof. Özel's research programs focus on advanced manufacturing, additive manufacturing, precision machining, laser materials processing, predictive modeling and optimization of manufacturing processes, and development of innovative micro/nano devices, processes, and integrated manufacturing systems. He has established an internationally recognized research program in the precision machining and additive manufacturing of advanced materials including alloy steels, titanium, and nickel-based superalloys. His other work has focused on laser processing of polymers and ceramic materials for microfluidics and microelectronics applications, micro-manufacturing of polymer microneedles for biomedical device applications, and most recently metal additive manufacturing method called laser powder bed fusion of nickel-based superalloys for aerospace applications. He is also interested in research on 3D bioprinting of natural fibers, bio composites, alginate, collagen and other sustainable materials for tissue and biomass constructs.
Prof. Özel is the co-author of four edited books. He is the Founding Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems, and Associate Editor of ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering. He organized and edited 15 journal special issues. He published over 160 peer-reviewed articles in leading engineering journals and conference proceedings. His journal articles received high number of citations (over 10,000) and his current author h-index is 51 in Google Scholar database. He has been on the scientific committee of over 60 international conferences, chaired numerous conference sessions, delivered 70 conference presentations, keynote and planetary papers.
Prof. Özel's research has been well funded (over $1.2 million as sole or lead-PI) by the National Science Foundation, Department of Commerce-NIST, TK Tribology Research Foundation NASA/New Jersey Space Grant Consortium, and industry. Current research projects include surface quality and material property investigations in additively fabricated products using laser powder bed fusion, precision/micro-machining of advanced metal alloys using micro-textured tooling, predictive modeling of machining induced surface integrity, laser materials processing of polymers and semi-conductor materials and computational modeling and optimization of manufacturing processes using finite element method and machine learning. He and his graduate students are currently working towards Artificial Intelligence (AI) enabled manufacturing and automation for developing digital twin of manufacturing processes and systems for smart manufacturing and Industry 4.0.
Prof. Özel is a senior member of SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers), ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), ASPE (American Society of Precision Engineering), and former Associate Member of CIRP-International Academy for Production Engineering.
For more information about Prof. Özel’s research group please visit http://coewww.rutgers.edu/marl
Website: Tuğrul Özel
Ph.D. 1998 The Ohio State University
- 2008-present, Editor in Chief, International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems
- 2013-present, Editorial Board, Production Engineering: Research and Development
- 2013-present, Editorial Board, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture
- 2016 Guest Editor, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacturing
- 2013 Certification of Excellence in Reviewing, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Elsevier
- 2014, Most Cited Articles (#1) 2013-2014 CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Elsevier
- 2010 Most Cited Articles 2005-2010 The Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Elsevier
- 2010 Most Cited Articles (#1 & #3) 2005-2010 International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Elsevier
- 2008 Machine Tool Technologies Research Foundation Award
- 2005 Best Paper Award in the 8th CIRP International Workshop on Modeling of Machining Operations
- Senior Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Senior Member, Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Associate Member, CIRP - International Academy for Production Engineering
Advanced and sustainable manufacturing, computational modeling, simulation and multi-objective optimization of manufacturing processes, micro/nano manufacturing, biomanufacturing automation and control, medical device design and manufacturing
- Criales, L.E., Arisoy, Y.M., Lane, B., Moylan, S., Donmez, A., Özel, T. "Predictive Modeling and Optimization of Multi-Track Processing for Laser Powder Bed Fusion of Nickel Alloy 625," Additive Manufacturing, 2017.
- Criales, L.E., Arisoy, Y.M., Lane, B., Moylan, S., Donmez, A., Özel, T. "Laser Powder Bed Fusion of Nickel Alloy 625: Experimental Investigations of Effects of Process Parameters on Melt Pool Size and Shape with Spatter Analysis," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 2017.
- Arisoy, Y.M. and Özel, T., "Prediction of machining induced microstructure in Ti-6Al-4V alloy using 3-D FE-based simulations: effects of tool micro-geometry, coating and cutting conditions,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2015.
- Thepsonthi, T., Özel, T. "3-D Finite Element Process Simulation of Micro-end Milling Ti-6Al-4V Titanium Alloy: Experimental Validations on Chip Flow and Tool Wear," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2015.
- Criales, L.E., Orozco, P.F., Medrano, A., Rodríguez, C.A., Özel, T. "Effect of Fluence and Pulse Overlapping on Fabrication of Microchannels in PMMA/PDMS via UV Laser Micromachining: Modeling and Experimentation," Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 2015.
- Thepsonthi, T. Özel, T., "An integrated toolpath and process parameter optimization for high-performance micro-milling process of Ti–6Al–4V titanium alloy," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2014.
- Özel, T., Ulutan, D., “Effects of machining parameters and tool geometry on serrated chip formation, specific forces and energies in orthogonal cutting of nickel-based super alloy Inconel 100,” Proc. IMechE Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 2014.
- Ulutan, D., Özel, T. “Determination of tool friction in presence of flank wear and stress distribution based validation using finite element simulations in machining of titanium and nickel based alloys,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2014.
- Arrazola, P. J., Özel, T., Umbrello, D., Davies, M. and Jawahir, I. S., “Recent advances in modelling of metal machining processes,” CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Keynote Paper, 2013.
- Özel, T., Ulutan, D., "Prediction of machining induced residual stresses in turning of titanium and nickel based alloys with experiments and finite element simulations," CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, 2012.