Industrial and Systems Engineering
|Office:||CORE Building, Room 208|
Dr. Tuğrul Özel's research programs focus on advanced manufacturing, additive manufacturing, precision machining, laser materials processing, computational modeling and optimization of advanced manufacturing processes, and development of innovative micro/nano devices, processes, and integrated manufacturing systems. Dr. Özel has established an internationally recognized research program in the precision machining and additive manufacturing of advanced materials including alloy steels, titanium, and nickel-based superalloys. His other work has focused on laser processing of polymers and ceramic materials for microfluidics and microelectronics applications, micro-manufacturing of polymer microneedles for biomedical device applications, and most recently metal additive manufacturing method called laser powder bed fusion of nickel-based superalloys for aerospace applications. He is also interested in research on 3D bioprinting of natural fibers, bio composites, alginate, collagen and other sustainable materials for tissue and biomass constructs.
Dr. Özel has published four edited books; Intelligent Machining (2009), Micromanufacturing: Design and Manufacturing of Micro-Products (2011), Biomedical Devices: Design, Prototyping and Manufacturing (2016), and most recently, Modern Manufacturing Processes (2019). He published over 150 articles in leading engineering journals and conferences. His journal articles received high number of citations (over 9,000) and his current author h-index is 27 in SCI-Web of Science, 36 in SCOPUS, and 46 in Google Scholar databases. He has been on the scientific committee of over 50 international conferences, chaired numerous conference sessions, delivered 60 conference presentations, keynote and planetary papers. He is the editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems, Associate Editor of ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Editorial Board Member of The International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, and Production Engineering, Research and Development.
Dr. Özel's research has been well funded (over $1.2 million as sole or lead-PI) by the National Science Foundation, Department of Commerce-NIST, TK Tribology Research Foundation NASA/New Jersey Space Grant Consortium, and industry. Current research projects include surface quality and material property investigations in additively fabricated products using laser powder bed fusion, precision/micro-machining of advanced metal alloys using micro-textured tooling, predictive modeling of machining induced surface integrity, laser materials processing of polymers and semi-conductor materials and computational modeling and optimization of manufacturing processes using finite element method and machine learning. He has graduated 6 Ph.D. and 22 Masters students, and supervised 20 visiting PhD or Masters students, and 10 Aresty Research assistants, and many undergraduate student projects in these research areas.
Dr. Özel is a senior member of SME, ASME, NAMRI and former Associate Member of CIRP-International Academy for Production Engineering.
Fore more information about Dr. Özel’s research please visit http://coewww.rutgers.edu/marl/ozel/
Ph.D. 1998 The Ohio State University
- 2008-present, Editor in Chief, International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems
- 2013-present, Editorial Board, Production Engineering: Research and Development
- 2013-present, Editorial Board, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture
- 2016 Guest Editor, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacturing
- 2013 Certification of Excellence in Reviewing, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Elsevier
- 2014, Most Cited Articles (#1) 2013-2014 CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Elsevier
- 2010 Most Cited Articles 2005-2010 The Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Elsevier
- 2010 Most Cited Articles (#1 & #3) 2005-2010 International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Elsevier
- 2008 Machine Tool Technologies Research Foundation Award
- 2005 Best Paper Award in the 8th CIRP International Workshop on Modeling of Machining Operations
- Senior Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Senior Member, Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Associate Member, CIRP - International Academy for Production Engineering
Advanced and sustainable manufacturing, computational modeling, simulation and multi-objective optimization of manufacturing processes, micro/nano manufacturing, biomanufacturing automation and control, medical device design and manufacturing
- Criales, L.E., Arisoy, Y.M., Lane, B., Moylan, S., Donmez, A., Özel, T. "Predictive Modeling and Optimization of Multi-Track Processing for Laser Powder Bed Fusion of Nickel Alloy 625," Additive Manufacturing, 2017.
- Criales, L.E., Arisoy, Y.M., Lane, B., Moylan, S., Donmez, A., Özel, T. "Laser Powder Bed Fusion of Nickel Alloy 625: Experimental Investigations of Effects of Process Parameters on Melt Pool Size and Shape with Spatter Analysis," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 2017.
- Arisoy, Y.M. and Özel, T., "Prediction of machining induced microstructure in Ti-6Al-4V alloy using 3-D FE-based simulations: effects of tool micro-geometry, coating and cutting conditions,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2015.
- Thepsonthi, T., Özel, T. "3-D Finite Element Process Simulation of Micro-end Milling Ti-6Al-4V Titanium Alloy: Experimental Validations on Chip Flow and Tool Wear," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2015.
- Criales, L.E., Orozco, P.F., Medrano, A., Rodríguez, C.A., Özel, T. "Effect of Fluence and Pulse Overlapping on Fabrication of Microchannels in PMMA/PDMS via UV Laser Micromachining: Modeling and Experimentation," Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 2015.
- Thepsonthi, T. Özel, T., "An integrated toolpath and process parameter optimization for high-performance micro-milling process of Ti–6Al–4V titanium alloy," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2014.
- Özel, T., Ulutan, D., “Effects of machining parameters and tool geometry on serrated chip formation, specific forces and energies in orthogonal cutting of nickel-based super alloy Inconel 100,” Proc. IMechE Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 2014.
- Ulutan, D., Özel, T. “Determination of tool friction in presence of flank wear and stress distribution based validation using finite element simulations in machining of titanium and nickel based alloys,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2014.
- Arrazola, P. J., Özel, T., Umbrello, D., Davies, M. and Jawahir, I. S., “Recent advances in modelling of metal machining processes,” CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Keynote Paper, 2013.
- Özel, T., Ulutan, D., "Prediction of machining induced residual stresses in turning of titanium and nickel based alloys with experiments and finite element simulations," CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, 2012.