Distinguished Professor, Undergraduate Director
Industrial and Systems Engineering
|Office:||CORE Building, Room 226|
E. A. Elsayed is Distinguished Professor in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Rutgers University. He is also the Director of the NSF/ Industry/ University Co-operative Research Center for Quality and Reliability Engineering. His research interests are in the areas of quality and reliability engineering and Production Planning and Control. He is a co-author of Quality Engineering in Production Systems, McGraw Hill Book Company, 1989. He is also the author of Reliability Engineering, Addison-Wesley, 1996. These two books received the 1990 and 1997 IIE Joint Publishers Book-of-the-Year Award respectively. His recent book Reliability Engineering 2nd Edition, Wiley, 2012 received the 2013 Outstanding IIE Publication.
Dr. Elsayed is also a co-author of Analysis and Control of Production Systems, Prentice-Hall, 2nd Edition, 1994. His research has been funded by the DoD, FAA, NSF and industry. Dr. Elsayed has been a consultant for AT&T Bell Laboratories, Ingersoll-Rand, Johnson & Johnson, Personal Products, AT&T Communications, BellCore and other companies. He served as the Editor-in-Chief of the IIE Transactions and the Editor of the IIE Transactions on Quality and Reliability Engineering. He is Editor-in-Chief of Quality Technology and Quality Management. Dr. Elsayed is also the Editor of the International Journal of Reliability, Quality and Safety Engineering. He serves on the editorial boards of eight journals in different capacities. He served an external evaluator for many undergraduate and graduate programs.
Dr. Elsayed is a frequent keynote speakers in National and International Conferences and is the recipient of many awards including Golomski Award for the outstanding paper, William Mong Distinguished Lecturers Award, David F. Baker Research Award of the Institute of Industrial Engineers for Research Contributions to the discipline of Industrial Engineering, , inducted member of the Russian Academy for Quality, IIE (Institute of Industrial Engineers) Fellow Award, ASME Fellow, Senior Fulbright Award and the Recipient of 2011 Thomas Alva Edison Award for US Patent 7,115,089 B2.
Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, University of Windsor, 1976
- Member of Blue Ribbon Panel for The US Army Evaluation Center, January 2015-present
- Recipient of the 2013 Outstanding IIE Publication Award for “Reliability Engineering" 2nd Edition, Wiley 2012.
- Recipient of 2011 Thomas Alva Edison Award for US Patent 7,115,089 B2, Technology for Continuous Folding of Sheet Materials, Research and Development Council of New Jersey
- Recipient of the Fulbright Scholar Award 2011-2012
- Member of the Panel on Theory and Applications of Reliability Growth Modeling to Defense Systems, Committee on National Statistics, National Research Council of National Academic, March 2011 to October 2014.
- Recipient of the William Mong Distinguished Lecturers Award for 2004-2005, The University of Hong Kong.
- Recipient of the David F. Baker Research Award of the Institute of Industrial Engineers for Research Contributions to the discipline of Industrial Engineering
- Recipient of the IIE Joint Publishers Book-of-the-Year Award for "Reliability Engineering" Book
Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2011
Fellow, Institute of Industrial Engineers, 1991
Member ASQ (American Society for Quality)
Member ASEE (American Society for Engineering Education)
Systems reliability engineering, accelerated life testing, reliability prediction models, design of test plans, on-line quality engineering, sheet folding theory and technology, aviation research.