Co-Op Internship Option
540:496/497 CO-OP INTERNSHIP IN INDUSTRIAL AND SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
(6 CREDITS, PASS/NO CREDIT BASIS ONLY)
The co-op internship program is designed to provide a practical engineering experience to the student’s undergraduate education by integrating prior course work into a working engineering environment. It presents a unique opportunity to the student to practice and/or apply knowledge and skills in various industrial and systems engineering environments. The credits earned are for the educational benefits of the experience. Students may use 3 of the 6 co-op credits as Dept/Tech Elec (List B) upon approval of the ISE Undergraduate Director.
Course Outline: The students must satisfy the following criteria to be eligible for an internship:
The co-op internship must be with the same company for six consecutive months, normally the spring and the summer semester.
Note that the 6 credits shown on page 16 are in addition to the 129 credit hours required for graduation unless the student is approved to use 3 credits as a Dept/Tech elective. Students who choose the co-op internship option will normally complete their undergraduate degree requirements in the 9th semester.
The following are the requirements to satisfy the undergraduate activities for credit:
- A written proposal must be submitted to the Department by the student. The proposal must be approved by the Undergraduate Director. The written proposal should include the offer letter from the company, educational benefits, engineering related responsibilities at the work site, project tasks, and the plan for evaluation.
- A suitable level of responsibility must be proposed and carried out under the supervision of a practicing professional and a final report must be presented to the Undergraduate Director.
- The registration is by special permission only, obtained from the Undergraduate Director.
- Students hired as technicians within the Department cannot use this to fulfill the Co-op Internship requirement.
- All internship work done for 3 credits of Technical elective will be documented in a weekly report to the Undergraduate Director in addition to the final report.
- Students on co-op must be registered for co-op credit during the semesters that they are working.
ISE Curriculum (Co-op Option)
Freshman Year (17 cr. hrs.) (18 cr. hrs.)
01:160:159 Gen Chem for Eng 3 01:160:160 Gen Chem for Eng 3
01:160:171 Intro to Experiment 1 01:640:152 Calc Math Phy Sci 4
01:355:101 Expository Writing 3 01:750:124 Analytic Physics I 2
01:640:151 Calc Math Phy Sci 4 14:440:127 Intro to Computers 3
01:750:123 Analytic Physics I 2 14:440:221 Engr Mech-Statics 3
14:440:100 Intro to Engr 1 __:___:___ Hum/Soc Elective 3
__:___:___ Hum/Soc Elective 3
Sophomore Year (17 cr. hrs.) (16 cr. hrs.)
01:640:251 Multivar Calc 4 01:220:102 Intro to Micro Econ 3
01:750:227 Analytic Phys IIA 3 01:640:244 Diff Eqns Eng & Ph 4
01:750:229 Anal Phys II Lab 1 14:440:222 Engr Mech-Dyn. 3
33:010:310 Account for Eng. 3M 14:540:210 Eng Probability 3M
14:540:201 Work Des & Ergo 3M 01:355:302 Sci & Tech Writing 3
14:540:202 Work Des Lab 1M
14:540:213 IE Lab 2M
Junior Year (17 cr. hrs.)
14:540:320 Eng Statistic 3M
14:180:215 Eng Graphics 1M
14:332:373 Elements of EE 3M CO-OP – 6 Credits
14:635:407 Mech Prop Materials 3M Spring and Summer
14:540:338 Prob Models in OR 3M
14:540:382 Comp Contr Mfg Sys 3M
14:540:383 Comp Contr Lab 1M
Fourth Year (16 cr. hrs.) (16 cr. hrs.)
14:540:343 Eng Economics 3M 14:540:303 Mfg Processes 3M
14:540:433 Quality Eng & Stat 3M 14:540:304 Mfg. Processes Lab 1M
14:540:434 Quality Eng Lab 1M 14:540:311 Deter Models in OR 3M
__:___:___ Dpt/Tech Elec (List A) 3M 14:540:384 Simulat Models IE 3M
__:___:___ Dpt/Tech Elec (List B) 3M 14:540:399 Design of Eng Sys I 3M
__:___:___ Hum/Soc Elective 3 14:540:462 Fac Layout & MH 3M
Fifth Year (12 cr. hrs.)
14:540:400 Design of Eng Syst II 3M
14:540:453 Prod Plan & Control 3M
14:540:453 Sustainable Energy 3M
__:___:___ Hum/Soc Elective 3
M – Course is included in major average.
Total credit hours: 129.
Major credit hours total: 67.
The Dept/Tech electives (List A & List B) are given in Section 1.2 of the handbook.