Industrial and Systems Engineering
|Office:||CORE Building, Room 208|
Tuğrul Özel's research programs focus on computational modeling and optimization of advanced manufacturing processes, and development of innovative micro/nano devices, processes, and integrated systems. Dr. Özel has published two edited books Intelligent Machining (2009) and Micromanufacturing: Design and Manufacturing of Micro-Products (2011). He holds a patent on Polymer-Based Micro-Needle Array Design and Fabrication for Drug Delivery. He has published over 125 articles in leading journals and conferences. His journal articles received high number of citations and his current author h-index is 21 (SCI-Web of Science) and 24 (SCOPUS) databases respectively. He has been member of scientific committee in over 40 international conferences, chaired numerous conference sessions, delivered a keynote paper and a planetary talk.
Dr. Özel's research has been well funded (over $1 million as sole or lead-PI) by the National Science Foundation, Department of Commerce-NIST, NASA/New Jersey Space Grant Consortium, and industry. Current research projects include additive manufacturing using selective laser melting, precision/micro-machining, predictive modeling of machining induced surface integrity, laser materials processing and computational modeling and multi-objective optimization of manufacturing processes.
Dr. Özel is a senior member of SME, ASME, NAMRI and Associate Member of CIRP-International Academy for Production Engineering. He received three major NSF Grant Awards as sole or lead-PI, the Most Cited Articles Awards from Elsevier where his articles appeared several times in The Journal of Materials Processing and The International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, the Best Paper Award at the 8th CIRP MMO Workshop in 2005, and the Machine Tool Technologies Research Foundation Award in 2008.
Ph.D. 1998 The Ohio State University
- 2014 Fellow Nominee, International Academy for Production Engineering (CIRP)
- 2013 Certification of Excellence in Reviewing, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Elsevier
- 2010 Associate Member, CIRP-International Academy for Production Engineering
- 2010 Most Cited Articles 2005-2010 The Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Elsevier
- 2010 Most Cited Articles (#1 & #3) 2005-2010 International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Elsevier
- 2008 Machine Tool Technologies Research Foundation Award
- 2005 Best Paper Award in the 8th CIRP International Workshop on Modeling of Machining Operations
- Editor in Chief, International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems
- Editorial Board/Associate Editor, Production Engineering, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, International Journal of Manufacturing Engineering, International Journal of Manufacturing Research, Int. J. of Machining and Machinability of Materials, International Journal of Computational Materials Science and Surface Engineering
Advanced and sustainable manufacturing, computational modeling, simulation and multi-objective optimization of manufacturing processes, micro/nano manufacturing, biomanufacturing automation and control, medical device design and manufacturing
- Arisoy, Y.M. and Özel, T., "Prediction of machining induced microstructure in Ti-6Al-4V alloy using 3-D FE-based simulations: effects of tool micro-geometry, coating and cutting conditions,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2015.
- Thepsonthi, T. and Özel, T., "An integrated toolpath and process parameter optimization for high-performance micro-milling process of Ti–6Al–4V titanium alloy," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2014.
- Özel, T., and Ulutan, D., “Effects of machining parameters and tool geometry on serrated chip formation, specific forces and energies in orthogonal cutting of nickel-based super alloy Inconel 100,” Proc. IMechE Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 2014.
- Ulutan, D., and Özel, T. “Determination of tool friction in presence of flank wear and stress distribution based validation using finite element simulations in machining of titanium and nickel based alloys,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2014.
- Arrazola, P. J., Özel, T., Umbrello, D., Davies, M. and Jawahir, I. S., “Recent advances in modelling of metal machining processes,” CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Keynote Paper, 2013.
- Thepsonthi, T. and Özel, T., "Experimental and finite element simulation based investigations on micro-milling Ti-6Al-4V titanium alloy: effects of cBN coating on tool wear,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2013.
- Ulutan, D. and Özel, T., “Multi-objective optimization of experimental and simulated residual stresses in turning of nickel-alloy IN100,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 2013.
- Özel, T., and Ulutan, D., "Prediction of machining induced residual stresses in turning of titanium and nickel based alloys with experiments and finite element simulations," CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, 2012.
- Sima, M., and Özel, T., "Modified material constitutive models for serrated chip formation simulations and experimental validation in machining of titanium alloy Ti-6Al-4V," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 2010.
- Özel, T., Sima, M., Srivastava, A.K., and Kaftanoglu, B., "Investigations on the effects of multi-layered coated inserts in machining Ti-6Al-4V alloy with experiments and finite element simulations," CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, 2010.